Storytelling Performance at PSBB Bangalore
January and lots of sessions in schools with children from Inventure Academy and PSBB leadership academy, BANGALORE. 275 children of the 4th standard and earlier 250 children from class 1 giving me a hifi after the story. Enjoyed the telling to the most appreciative and attentive children.Posted by Kathalaya's International Academy of Storytelling on Friday, 12 January 2018
Tell children a story and they listen with their whole being. Lead children to touch and understand a grass hopper, a rock, a flower, a ray of sunlight, and you begin to establish connections between children and their surroundings. Keep the children at the center of their learning encounters. Build on these experiences with activities that help them to care for, and take care of, the Earth and other people.
At Kathalaya, as the stories unfold, we help the children bring the activities to life: a holistic, interdisciplinary approach to teaching and learning.
- Stories as a regular part of the school curriculum- Storytelling by our professional tellers trained at The Academy Of Storytelling -15-16 sessions. Children will learn to speak with confidence , improve language skills, be aware of different ways of telling stories, while subtly learning the concepts in the curriculum in a joyous way. Each story will be followed by an activity.
- Public speaking through storytelling for 6-12 years only. Each topic will have a story, skills related to public speaking, activities based on the topics, recorded speeches, and presentations.
- Weekly sessions in schools We also offer weekly storytelling sessions as a period every week called STORYELLING and do about 36 sessions a year for each class. We have been reaching out to schools now for over 20 years and have developed a curriculum to integrate concepts through stories for classes LKG to 9th std for CBSE, ICSE, STATE BOARD, IGCSE AND MONTESSORI SCHOOLS.
1. Integrate concepts with stories
2. Life skills and stories
3. Value education and storytelling
4. Social Sciences with stories
5. Language development through stories
- Stories on Wheels. Children visit us here at our center where we take them for an outing to the nearby mini forest and tell them stories there as well as at our centre ending with a puppet show. This would be a half-day outing for the kids. Children will listen to a minimum of three stories, which would include a puppet show by professionally-trained storytellers from the Academy, learn about the environment, and develop sensitivity towards it.
- Story Thon- Story Marathon at the school- Storytelling performances by 2-3 storytellers from Kathalaya for an hour or an hour and a half through different mediums and styles which will include a modern storyteller, a folklorist, and storytelling with pictures, puppets etc. Children will enjoy listening to the different ways and styles of storytelling.
- Story workshops for children- A two to three-hour workshop on techniques of telling. Children will learn the different techniques like voice, body language, expressions, and aids used for telling stories. Professional tellers will conduct the workshop and it will end with a presentation by the children.
STORYWEAVERS – a Storytelling course for children at Kathalaya.
The course is conducted by experts who have been professionally trained through the courses at the Academy.
Every month we offer courses over 4 weekends for children between the ages of 6 to 12.
It covers all aspects of storytelling like
- Voice and Voice Modulation
- Body language, movement, and expression
- Chitrakathas and picture stories
- Puppets in storytelling
- Creativity and language development
- Vocabulary build up
- Presenting their own stories.
STORY ROOMS - WE ARE PRSESENTLY SETTING UP STORY ROOMS –AN ENTIRE CURRCICLUM BASED ON STORIES FROM AGES 2-15. You will get:
- An extensively worked-out curriculum with concepts for easy learning with lesson plans, worksheets, and activity sheets
- Training for teachers based on the concepts
- Story Chest - A Box of materials for each story
- Other accessories to set up the room like curtains, jingles, kits etc.
YOU COULD SET IT UP AS A PART OF THE LIBRARY OR ALLOT A SEPARATE ROOM FOR IT.
A UNIQUE CONCEPT AND NEW LEARNING FOR BOTH TEACHERS AND CHILDREN. EXCITED!!!
KathaSangama : We also meet children and adults regularly every month at our center with bag full of theme-based stories performed by our professional tellers. Look up our web page for more details
WE HAVE SO FAR REACHED OVER 50,0000 CHILDREN DURING THE 20 YEARS OF OUR INTERVENTION IN THE FIELD AND HAVE REACHED OUT TO 1000s OF SCHOOLS THROUGH OUR PROGRAMS, EVENTS, AND FESTIVALS AROUND THE WORLD.